This is a question I always hear in each workshop; every person aspiring to be PMP is dealing with it. Few have come out with very innovative ways to remember the knowledge areas, processes and ITTOs.
However before we blindly decide to spend hours of time and money of this activity – lets step back.
What does PMP exam expect from you?
- It expect you would be doing your role on day today basis and have executed few projects as Leader/manager
- You are at a knowledge level of applying the knowledge rather than recalling level (please bear in mind that recall (remember) is a low skill set then apply. Think of a kid at 2ndgrade who can recall the words and use them in some context, and a kid going to 7th grade who can apply math on day today life situations.
Now back to the question – Do I need to mug up the ITTOs?
The answer is NO. You need not.
However the key is:
Understand Process Goal
- Understand why any process exist
- Remember the major output from each process – It will help you understand why the process exists in the first place.
Conversant with all Tools and Techniques (T&T)
- If you would have notices by now – Tools and techniques can be applied to more than one process
- Hence no point remembering which process is associated with what T&T
- Understating the T&T in detail would help e.g. – EVM, CPM, Estimation
So net net – Remember the goal /objective of the process (understand and associate WHY process exists)
All the best for exam!!