Why should I do PMP
- Project Management Professional, also called PMP certification is a global certification.
- Being a PMP validates your expertise as a Project Manager.
- The certification has become a qualifying criterion to get interview calls for a management position.
- It helps you control your team and projects better
- This aligns your vocabulary which resonates with senior stakeholders and customers
- Helps you negotiate and get better jobs/increments resulting in higher salary than non-PMP managers
Am I eligible for PMP?
PMP Certification Eligibility Criteria
|Eligibility Requirement||Four-Year Degree||Secondary Degree*|
|Years of Project Management Experience||3 Years (36 Months)||5 Years (60 Months)|
|Hours Leading & Directing Projects||4,500 Hours||7,500 Hours|
|Hours of Project Management Education||35 Hours||35 Hours|
I'm an Operation Manager, Am I eligible for PMP?
Most of the operation Managers are in long term operations/support projects. However, all operations have upgrades, improvement and other initiatives. All these initiative which has a start date and end date are considered as PROJECTS.
So check how many process improvements you did or how any upgrades you/your team performed and take it from there.
Ideally, if you have been in operations/support for more than five years – you are good to go for the PMP certification.
If still in doubt – send me your resume at email@example.com and let me get back to you.
What is the FIRST step to start PMP preparation?
I know, you have been thinking about PMP certification but do not know where to start…
The first step is to check your eligibility.
The next step is to enroll for a PMP workshop with an Institute/consultant whom you trust. This will help you get the 35PDU certificate and jump start your PMP preparations.
Should I read PMBOK before enrolling for a PMP workshop?
That’s a great thought.
However, in my experience, I’ve found that most of the people get anxious when they look at PMBOK as the book is a standard and uses specific terms which are difficult to understand in first go.
Check for Institutes/Consultants who provide specific information about pre-reads and pay attention to your questions before the workshop.
It’s a good idea to study before the PMP classes as it will help you understand the topics in much better depth.
Everyone says PMP Book by Rita Mulcahy is a MUST read book. Do I need to read that?
Yes – RMC book on PMP Preparation by Rita Mulcahy is a good book. However, there are other great books available which can help you understand the topics in shorter time frame by using scientific methods and help you Pass the PMP exam.
Wait for your PMP training provider (Consultant) inputs on this before you start the buying spree…
PMP Class or PMP Online or PMP eLearning? What should I do?
If you have time go with the PMP classroom. This is the BEST mode of study. Interactive and you can ask questions and get answers to many questions which other people ask. Also, it is suggested to form a study group to help you stay on track.
The second option would be PMP Online with an Instructor, You will not have physical proximity with all the students/trainer but you would be part of a group and can ask questions and get answers in real time. The only issue with this mode is Connectivity, Call quality and incentives to be part of the class.
I would recommend PMP eLearning as the last resort – Why? Many reasons – the eLearning is yet to evolve to give a great experience to the student. There are courses which are just PPT play for 1 to 3 hours, Boring and takes time to download/play. Check the sample course before you indulge in PMP eLearning.
If you are self motivated – go for it.
How do I get access to PMBOK?
You need to become a member of PMI. Once you are a member of PMI, you will receive an email with all the details on the downloadable resources and communities which you can be part of.
How to become a member with PMI?
Simple. Just go to PMI.org
Register yourself with PMI first. This will create an account with limited access for you.
Once done that, pay the registration fee. Keep your credit card details handy and you become a member within 5 mins 🙂
Here is the URL for PMI registration link:
Is there any eligibility criteria for PMI membership?
No, You can become a PMI member today.
The eligibility criteria will come into the picture only when you apply for the PMP exam credentials. Which will be required once you attain the 35 PDUs ie once you have attended a PMP workshop.
I plan to do PMP soon, Have not attended a class so far, should I become a PMI member?
Yes. If you plan to schedule your PMP exam within next 1 year, It is a good idea to become a member of PMI. This will help you get the required standards and eReads to help you get started.
I'm confused with PMI membership, 35 PDUs, eligibility and PMP exam, can you please break down the steps to be a PMP
Great. That’s a good start.
I will write steps in a concise manner, here they are:
- Check your PMP eligibility.
- Start the search for good institute/coach to get 35 PDU workshop
- Check the horizon, your leave status, work status etc. Plan and look for a window where you should have at-least 2-4 hours every day for PMP preparation.
- If this window is within 1 Year time frame – Good. If not – there is no hurry, come back later and start with step 3 again 🙂
- Become a PMI member.
- Attend a PMP workshop.
- Once you attend a PMP workshop, you will get a 35 PDU certificate, this is required for filling the PMP application.
- File PMP application, the PMP application once approved will be valid for 1 year. That means that you can schedule your exam at any time at any place within 1 year of the PMP application approval date.
- Start with the PMP Mock Tests, prepare for PMP exam, do many tests, simulate the 4 hours, 200 question environment.
- Select the Prometric center and the exam date for PMP exam and PASS the Exam
It’s easy – right.
Whats constitute the PMP exam?
200 questions in 4 hours.
The 200 questions are from 5 process groups as described in PMBOK.
The questions are objective with 4 choices (think radio buttons). Only one choice is correct and there is no negative marking.
Is PMP exam very difficult?
Yes and No.
PMP questions are based on Blooms Taxonomy and can really assess you on the Project Management knowledge. You need to be thorough with concepts to pass the exam.
It is lot of text, is there a better explanation?
Yes – Watch this video: